Wildlife Management Biologist (Contract)
Eeyou Marine Region Wildlife Board
Intent: This position will be renewed annually contingent upon available funding. It is intended that the position will become permanent upon the renegotiation of a new ten-year funding agreement with the federal government in 2022. Preference will be given to qualified applicants with experience in fisheries management or marine science. This position is primarily administrative in nature, with some opportunity for summer fieldwork.
Backgrounder on the Eeyou Marine Region: The Eeyou Marine Region Wildlife Board (EMRWB) is an Institution of Public Government (IPG) established under the Eeyou Marine Region Land Claims Agreement (EMRLCA). The EMRWB is the main instrument of Wildlife management in the EMR and the main regulator of access to Wildlife. The EMRWB works closely with the Cree Trappers Association to fulfill their respective mandates under the EMRLCA. The main office and staff of the EMRWB are located in Waskaganish, Quebec. **Please note that this position will be based out of Eastmain, QC**.
The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- Act as primary contact with the CTA-EMR Wildlife Liaison Office (WLO) and assist the WLO with the development of research projects, community monitoring projects, training workshops, and annual workplans;
- Review and provide feedback on COSEWIC assessments, and scientific and technical reports submitted to the Board;
- Assist the Director in providing advice, documentation and other types of information to the chair and members of the EMRWB in support of their meetings (e.g. briefing notes);
- Communications (e.g. Facebook updates, production of newsletters, website content development);
- Assist in the administration of the EMRWB Research Fund (e.g. project proposals and funding applications);
- Collection and management of harvest data, wildlife observations, and traditional ecological knowledge;
- Coordinate and participate in consultation and public hearings with residents of Eeyou Istchee and Cree entities in relation to any issues requiring a decision by the EMRWB;
- Assist with the design and implementation of research projects in the EMR;
- Participate in research projects as required.
Desired qualifications, skills and assets:
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in a related field (e.g. Biology)
- A minimum of 5 (five) years of experience in wildlife management, wildlife research, fisheries, aquatic science, marine science, or natural resource management;
- Research project design and management;
- Writing of technical reports and briefing materials;
- Comprehension of scientific literature and data analysis;
- Living and working in a remote environment;
- Working with Indigenous groups and/or in ac cross-cultural environment;
- Working with wildlife co-management partners and inter-jurisdictional entities;
- Some knowledge of the Eeyou Marine Region Land Claims Agreement and of the James Bay & Northern Quebec Agreement;
- Some knowledge of the Eeyou Marine Region and James Bay territory regional context;
- Familiarity with fish and wildlife species found in the EMR;
- Knowledge of research methodologies and scientific data analysis.
Skills and assets:
- Applicants must have strong oral and written skills in English. Knowledge of French and Cree is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of GIS, mapping, and data management;
- Website development;
- Valid driver’s license;
- PAL certification and non-restricted firearms experience (or willingness to obtain);
- Effective organizational and coordinating skills and ability to work independently;
- Ability to multi-task and re-prioritize;
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills;
- Willingness to participate in occasional fieldwork;
- Willingness to travel on occasion.
- Subsidized staff housing is available in Eastmain, QC (for non-residents of Eastmain only);
- Relocation allowance is provided;
- Annual paid vacation (2 weeks);
- At this time, the position is not eligible for additional benefits. A generous benefits package will become available once the position is made permanent (e.g. RRSP, vacation allowance, cargo allowance, health and dental).
Applicants are invited to visit the following websites for more information about the EMR and region:
The EMR entities are equal opportunity employers. In accordance with the EMRLCA, conditions may vary to promote the employment of qualified local and/or Cree candidates.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to Priscillia Wesley at: email@example.com or to the following coordinates: Eeyou Marine Region, 4 Chief Isaiah Salt Rd., PO Box 580, Waskaganish, QC.
Questions about the job position can be submitted to Angela Coxon at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date is June 5, 2020 at 5:00pm (EST). Only those applicants selected for interview will be contacted.