Supervisor – Rock Mechanics
Reporting to the Superintendent Geotechnical, this role is to ensure that data collection requirements for the geotechnical aspects of Eleonore are completed to a high level of accuracy and efficiency. The Eleonore mine ore body is very complex and requires innovative and robust initiatives as well as understanding seismicity, ground control and rock fall risk management strategies.
- Ensure geotechnical hazards are identified and rectified in a timely manner
- Ensure collection of geotechnical data as per Eleonore’s procedures and hazard models are kept up to date
- Identification and communication of geotechnical hazards, including barricading of areas underground
- Ensure QA/QC checks are completed for all installed ground support systems and backfill
- Training of underground workforce in geotechnical issues
- Provide coaching and support to the geotechnical team
- Ensure collection and analysis of geotechnical monitoring data is completed in a timely manner and recommendations are issued to operations and/or planning
- Ensure resources are available to plan and manage rehabilitation
- Maintain the seismic system and ensure protocols are followed
- Investigate rockfalls
- Ensure backfill and reticulation plans are completed in a timely manner
- BSc degree in Geological or Mining Engineering, preferably with specialization in Geotechnical Engineering or Rock Mechanics.
- Minimum 5 to 10 years as a rock mechanics engineer in similar hard rock underground mining environments.
- Operating knowledge of DIPS, UNWEDGE, MAP3D, MXRAP, IMS software and PHASE2
- Member of the Order of Engineers of Quebec
- French and English speaking
- Knowledge in geotechnical design methods
- Knowledge of ground control management plans
- Experience managing technical teams
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Organizational skills.
- Strong technical writing, group presentation, and interpersonal skills including cultural sensitivity.
- 14 days of work followed by 14 days of rest
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com no later than October 23, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is based at Newmont’s Eleonore mine site, which is a fly-in/fly-out operation. Pursuant to the Government of Canada’s vaccine requirement for travel, COVID-19 vaccination is required for all travelers departing from Canadian airports, which includes flights to/from Newmont’s Eleonore mine site, subject only to some very limited exemptions. Accordingly, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you will be required to provide a declaration confirming that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or confirming that you have an exemption from the Government of Canada’s vaccine requirement for travel, prior to your anticipated start date. Further, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you may also be required to provide proof of vaccination or exemption status prior to your anticipated start date, or at a later date upon Newmont’s request.