SOCIAL WORK TECHNICIAN
POSTING VMS # 699
VOYAGEUR MEMORIAL SCHOOL-ELEMENTARY
NATURE OF THE WORK
The principal and customary work of an employee in this class of employment consists in applying social aid techniques designed to promote prevention in matters pertaining to drug addiction, violence, absenteeism, dropping out of school and so on and provide individual or collective assistance to students experiencing related behavioral problems. He or she also helps a student who requires assistance with other problems of a personal, family, social or other nature that could affect his or her behavior.
- The employee in this class of employment works with teachers, the multidisciplinary team and external interveners, as the case may be, to analyze problems submitted to him or her and to the participate in the search for appropriate solutions. He or she works with youth protection organizations, particularly by reporting cases of abuse. If necessary, collaborates with police forces; participates in consultation groups and case studies; refers to the organizations concerned cases that are not the jurisdiction of the school board. He or she may be called upon to act as a witness in court.
- Under the responsibility of the School Administration and with the multidisciplinary team, he or she participates in developing and drawing up an individualized education plan; selects measures designed to attain the objectives determined, draws up an action plan and applies the measures; evaluates the objectives attained and partipates in the evaluation of the plan.
- He or she organizes and synthesizes data on a problem in order to evaluate the problem and to find solutions based on queries or information collected from the school staff, the school board, the student or his or her family. He or she records his or her observations and interventions as well as prepares and updates files.
- He or she provides counselling, helps the student overcome his or her social, cultural or material problems related to family, social or school environment; advises him or her if necessary refers him or her to the appropriate resources
- He or she informs students of the various disorders or dependencies by holding information meetings in class or at other times; prepares information bulletins intended for posting or school newspapers and organizes and conducts activities related to these topics.
- He or she meets with students, parents and teachers to provide them with advice, information and pertinent documents and referrals.
- He or she may be required to use a computer and the necessary software to perform his or her duties. If need be, he or she performs any other related duty when asked
Schooling and experience
- Hold a Diploma of College Studies in Social Service, Secondary School Diploma or a diploma or an attestation of studies recognized as equivalent by the competent authority
- have one ( 1) year of pertinent experience in those areas requiring self-discipline, general concepts in psychology and human relations skills.
- Hold a certificate dated no more than three (3) years attesting to the successful completion of: 1. a standard first aid course of a minimum eight (8)-hour duration; 2. a refresher course of a minimum six (6)-hour duration updating the skills acquired in the course mentioned in subparagraph 1.
- Experience in working with young children
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Fluent in Cree, English
- French is an asset
- Available to work evenings and weekends
Duration: Full-time Regular@ 100% – REPLACEMENT Till June 30, 2020
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Salary and benefits: $23.12/hr to $33.61/hr
Northern Allowance: $ 8,484.00 Single rate or $13,573.00 Dependent rate
Interested candidates should forward in complete confidence their Curriculum Vitae before: Monday December 09, 2019@ 12:00pm to:
Elementary School Principal
Voyageur Memorial School
277 Amisk Street
Mistissini Lake, Quebec, GOW lC0
Or by email at email@example.com
Please indicate posting # VMS-699