- Period Of EmploymentFull Time
Under the direction and supervision of the Executive Director the Deputy Executive Director of the Government Support Services department is responsible for developing departmental goals, programs, services, initiatives and projects for IT and records management, aligned with the Cree Nation Government’s mission and vision. The Director manages the overall operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of the department. He/she may also participate in the negotiation, implementation and monitoring of various agreements with local, provincial and federal governments in his/her area of responsibility.
The Deputy Executive Director is a member of the Cree Nation Government’s Management Committee. He/she is responsible for promoting the vision and direction of the Management Committee to the departments under supervision, as well as providing guidance in administrative matters. Moreover, the Deputy Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the strategic and operational activities of the departments under his supervision such as Child and Family Services, Apatisiiwin Skills Development, Commerce and Industry, and Social and Cultural Development.
- Develop and communicate departmental goals and objectives, in line with the organization’s and the department’s mission and vision.
- Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet departmental goals.
- Support the Executive Director in building and updating strategic and operational plans, in line with directions given by the Executive Committee and Management Committee.
- Assist the Directors under his/her responsibility (Commerce and Industry, Apatisiiwin Skills Development, Child and Family Services, Fire Services, Social and Cultural Development with the development of short and long-term operational plans.
- Develop annual and three to five-year operational plans for the Department of Government Support Services and present to the Management Committee.
- Lead the development, communication, implementation and evaluation of policies and programs under Government Support Services.
- Develop processes and procedures for departmental operations, services and programs for Government Support Services.
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operations of the Government Support Services department.
- Review performance data that includes financial and activity reports to monitor and measure departmental productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness.
- Participate in the negotiation of agreements with the Federal and/or Quebec governments relevant to his/her area of responsibility. Follow-up and monitor the implementation of all agreements signed.
- Make recommendations to the Executive Director on administrative procedures, policies, projects and programs for departments under his supervision.
- Take special mandates as determined by the Council, the Executive Committee, the Management Committee or the Executive Director.
- Keep the Directors under his supervision informed of decisions made by the Council and Senior Management.
- Assist Directors by collaborating with the Human Resources department and participating in all human resources activities for concerned departments, when needed.
- Promote positive relations and concerted action with all external actors/partners (e.g., Cree communities, federal, provincial and municipal governments, other Cree entities, etc.).
- Establish active working relationships with Cree Nation Government’s Directors.
- Maintain open communication with the Council, when necessary.
- Represent the interests of the Cree Nation Government in meetings and committees, as requested.
- Prepare reports for the Executive Director regarding various projects and initiatives.
- Receive and analyze all proposed development projects for Category 1 Lands and submit them to the appropriate committee or review panel.
- Lead the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the department.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports for the Government Support Services department regarding status and progress on services, programs, projects and initiatives to track goal accomplishment, as well as budget spending.
- Oversee preparation and approve reports to funding authorities. Ensure timeline of reporting obligations are met.
- Oversee preparation and approve reports for the Annual General Assembly and the Cree Nation Government’s Annual Report on the activities of the Department.
- Provide regular progress reports of the department’s status projects to the Cree Nation Government’s Council Board, Executive Committee and Management Committee.
- Manage the budget for the department. Participate in the annual budget process and conduct follow-up internally and with the Finance department.
- Seek additional funding/budget to implement programs related to the department and monitor accurate use of these funds.
- Provide guidance to concerned Directors on management of their budgets, in conjunction with the Finance department.
- Perform periodic verification of the financial spending of departments under supervision.
- Directly supervise and lead direct reports and ensure effective supervision of others within the team.
- Assist direct reports with the development of objectives and ensure that performance is aligned with team and individual objectives. Ensure that managers and/or supervisors within team are establishing objectives that are in alignment with departmental objectives.
- Identify training needs and support training and development.
- Conduct periodic performance evaluations for direct reports and assist managers and/or supervisors with performance evaluations.
- Promote ongoing, effective and open communication with employees. Keep staff members informed of decisions that impact them and/or their department
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Master’s degree in Administration or a related field or an equivalent experience.
- More than twelve years of relevant work experience.
- Eight years’ experience in budgeting, planning, administration and staff management.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in verbal Cree.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong leadership, management and supervisory skills.
- Customer-focused and service-oriented.
- Proven success in maintaining strong communication, including the ability to facilitate effectively.
- Proven ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Proven ability to influence decisions and find solutions to complex problems.
- Proven ability to demonstrate strong judgment in complex situations.
- Proven ability to problem-solve, to think strategically, and to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work under significant pressure and to adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Typical office setting where there are no unusual physical demands.
- Willingness to travel frequently.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.
POSTING END DATE: NOVEMBER 23, 2022
SALARY SCALE IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW
Pay Type: Salary
Min. Hiring Rate: $110,254.00
Max. Hiring Rate: $165,382.00
To apply, click HERE and sign-in or create an account.