Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
About this role
The Resource Modeler reports to the Regional Resource Modeling Manager North America and is responsible for the resource models at Eleonore Operations.
- Develop robust resource and reserve models for Eleonore projects and operations, which include the definition of the scope of the analysis at the pre-feasibility and feasibility level, and all associated documentation.
- Supervision of a team that supports the exploration groups, production groups, and engineering groups with resource modeling
- Generate simulations for studies of resource categorization, uncertainty analysis, and risk assessments.
Health & Safety
- Report to work physically fit
- Accountable for following all company safety procedures and practices in order to improve performance and culture, and ultimately achieve zero harm.
- Follow procedures. Speak up to persons involved and inform your supervisor when you identify a less safe situation
- Complete safety training and certification as required by site and departmental procedure
- Report identified hazards and incidents as per site procedure
Operational Excellence & Growth
- Provide support, training, and development of resource models by applying knowledge of geology, mining, geostatistics, and applied mathematics.
- Be proactive in stakeholder management through coordination with Mine Engineering and Operations on short and long term planning, as well as Exploration on projects.
- Carry out simulations and geostatistical studies for projects and resources in Eleonore.
- Maintain current applications, develop new applications and test new technical concepts and methodologies for resource estimation.
- Advise users on best approaches to solve new problems and directly contribute by utilizing specific expertise such as: geological modeling, deposit modeling, mine planning, ore control, and reconciliation.
- Perform a variety of technical programming duties including scripting, modifying software and/or writing code.
- Review and develop short term and resource model reports to support reconciliation analysis and validation.
- With minimal supervision, plan, coordinate and complete projects in a timely manner.
Environment, Social, Governance
- Demonstrate social sensitivity, commitment and compliance with Newmont’s Social Responsibility Policy.
- Treat all colleagues, business partners and other stakeholders with respect
- Display Newmont’s values of Safety, Integrity, Sustainability, Inclusion and Responsibility in all actions
- Coach employees to optimize business performance
- Effectively manage and supervise resource modeler
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- A bachelor degree in a mining related field in geology, mine engineering, or geostatistics and years related experiences
- >6-10 years’ experience and in-depth knowledge of at least one of the following disciplines: Mine Geology, Short-Term Planning, Long-Term Planning or Ore Control. Experience must include 2 years of experience in resource modeling.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to develop working relationship with stakeholders in other disciplines.
- Intermediate written and spoken French & English Skills.
- A proficiency in applied mathematics and a strong background in problem solving, 3D visualization skills and technical programming skills.
- Proficient in Vulcan or similar modeling software with demonstrated proficiency in resource modeling required.
- Strong computer skills in Excel. A level of proficiency in scripting (eg. Python, Perl)
- Technical writing ability is required to prepare documentation in support of annual reserve and resource reporting.
- Must be a Competent/Qualified person by NI 43-101 standards. Registration as a Professional Geoscientist with L’Ordre des géologues du Québec, or eligibility for such registration required.
- The position is fly-in-fly-out Eleonore mine in Canada.
- Work is conducted at the mine site.
- Schedule: 8 days of work followed by 6 days of rest; 4 days of work followed by 3 days of rest or a 8X6 rotation.
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com/careers no later than July 26th, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. Accordingly, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you will be required to provide a declaration confirming that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to your anticipated start date, and you may also be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to your anticipated start date, or at a later date upon Newmont’s request. Newmont will consider individual requests for exemption/reasonable accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to medical reasons or other grounds protected by applicable human rights law.
*The masculine gender is used in this job offer without discrimination and only in the purpose of lightening the text