Réf. : 24792
Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
The Resource Modeler reports to the Regional Resource Modeling Manager North America and is responsible for the resource models at Eleonore Operations.
- Develop robust resource and reserve models for Eleonore projects and operations, which include the definition of the scope of the analysis at the pre-feasibility and feasibility level, and all associated documentation.
- Supervision of a team that supports the exploration groups, production groups, and engineering groups with resource modeling
- Generate simulations for studies of resource categorization, uncertainty analysis, and risk assessments.
- Main focus on Eleonore Site; secondary regional support
Health & Safety
- Report to work physically fit
- Accountable for following all company safety procedures and practices in order to improve performance and culture, and ultimately achieve zero harm.
- Follow procedures. Speak up to persons involved and inform your supervisor when you identify a less safe situation
- Complete safety training and certification as required by site and departmental procedure
- Report identified hazards and incidents as per site procedure
Operational Excellence and Growth
- Provide support, training, and development of resource models by applying knowledge of geology, mining, geostatistics, and applied mathematics.
- Be proactive in stakeholder management through coordination with Mine Engineering and Operations on short and long term planning, as well as Exploration on projects.
- Carry out simulations and geostatistical studies for projects and resources in Eleonore.
- Maintain current applications, develop new applications and test new technical concepts and methodologies for resource estimation.
- Advise users on best approaches to solve new problems and directly contribute by utilizing specific expertise such as: geological modeling, deposit modeling, mine planning, ore control, and reconciliation.
- Perform a variety of technical programming duties including scripting, modifying software and/or writing code.
- Review and develop short term and resource model reports to support reconciliation analysis and validation.
- With minimal supervision, plan, coordinate and complete projects in a timely manner.
Environment, Social, Governance
- Demonstrate social sensitivity, commitment and compliance with Newmont’s Social Responsibility Policy.
- Treat all colleagues, business partners and other stakeholders with respect
- Display Newmont’s values of Safety, Integrity, Sustainability, Inclusion and Responsibility in all actions
- Coach employees to optimize business performance
- Effectively manage and supervise resource modeler
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor degree in a mining related field in geology, mine engineering, or geostatistics and years related experiences
- >6-10 years’ experience and in-depth knowledge of at least one of the following disciplines: Mine Geology, Short-Term Planning, Long-Term Planning or Ore Control.
- Experience must include 2 years of experience in resource modeling.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to develop working relationship with stakeholders in other disciplines.
- Intermediate written and spoken French & English Skills.
- A proficiency in applied mathematics and a strong background in problem solving, 3D visualization skills and technical programming skills.
- Proficient in Vulcan or similar modeling software with demonstrated proficiency in resource modeling required.
- Strong computer skills in Excel. A level of proficiency in scripting (eg. Python, Perl)
- Technical writing ability is required to prepare documentation in support of annual reserve and resource reporting.
- Must be a Competent/Qualified person by NI 43-101 standards. Registration as a Professional Geoscientist with L’Ordre des géologues du Québec, or eligibility for such registration required.
- The position is a hybrid of fly-in-fly-out Eleonore mine in Canada and working from home.
- Work is conducted at the mine site and from home-office.
- Schedule: 8 days of work followed by 6 days of rest
- Eleonore mine site (Fly-in, Fly-out)
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com/careers no later than March 20, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Conformément aux valeurs de sécurité et de responsabilité de Newmont, nous pensons que la vaccination contre le COVID-19 est un outil essentiel pour lutter contre cette pandémie et protéger la santé et la sécurité de la main-d’oeuvre de Newmont et des communautés dans lesquelles nous travaillons et vivons. Par conséquent, si vous recevez une offre d’emploi pour ce poste, il vous sera demandé de fournir une déclaration confirmant que vous êtes entièrement vacciné contre le COVID-19 avant la date prévue de votre entrée en fonction, et il pourra également vous être demandé de fournir une preuve de vaccination avant la date prévue de votre entrée en fonction, ou à une date ultérieure à la demande de Newmont. Newmont examinera les demandes individuelles d’exemption/accommodement raisonnable des candidats qui ne peuvent pas être entièrement vaccinés pour des raisons médicales ou pour d’autres motifs protégés par la législation applicable en matière de droits de l’homme.