Department: Commerce and Industry (DCI)
Report to: Manager of Natural Resources and Sectoral Development
Status: Contract-Summer Student
Location: To Be Determined
Deadline Date: May 7th, 2021
The Research Assistant will be responsible to conduct research for the department. Specifically, research related to: Community Profiles, Mining and Forestry as related to Sectoral developments for Eeyou Istchee. The incumbent is also responsible to compile and enter information in the departmental databases and assist departmental staff to prepare the related files for presentation or reporting.
• Assist in the data collection for the development of a Economic and Sectoral Profiles in Eeyou Istchee.
• Develop presentations for the purpose of documenting data and findings using charts, tables, and graphics.
• Contact different partners and information sources to compile information.
• Assist the DCI team with the creation of community profiles, demographic data, in order to ensure proper and efficient classification.
• Assist with the maintenance of databases such as: Business Directory and the DCI Database.
• Collect, organize and file various studies related to Commerce and Industry.
• Update and maintain online data and information sources and identify trends in patterns and data sets.
• Assist the Data Technician and the Business Registry Office in data collection and research.
• Conduct research that will assist with the set-up of the DCI Business Center.
• Provide all external and internal communications related to their research, analysis and data.
• Research other Indigenous Groups for commerce and Industry trends, successes, and best practices.
• Assist the DCI team in the preparation of various reports and documentation.
• Ensure all correspondences such as interviews and meetings are maintained and documented.
• Assist with the collection of surveys for the Capacity Building framework.
• Work with partner organizations and stakeholders to gather information for the department.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
• Perform other duties as required
• College/University Diploma (student in process returning to school in September) in Natural Resources, Sectoral Development, Economics Business Administration, or related field.
• One to three years of relevant work experience.
• Fluency in verbal Cree.
• Fluency in English.
• Fluency in French is an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Customer-focused and service-oriented.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively.
• Proven ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
• Strong writing skills and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
• Proven organizational skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
• Typical office setting where there are no unusual physical demands.
• Willingness to travel occasionally.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.