Career Opportunity: Regional Special Needs Advisor
Department: Child and Family Services
Location: To be Determined/Cree Community
Salary Grade 5: (Min. $51,223.00 – Max. $68,383.00)
The Regional Special Needs Advisor is responsible for providing professional support and advice to the Childcare and Special Needs Educators working with special needs children in the Cree communities.
- Keep up-to-date case files on each special needs child receiving services through the Childcare operations including diagnosis, intervention plans, designated resource professionals and other relevant information.
- Assist in finding and/or developing learning activities specific to each special needs child with the Educators.
- Assist Special Needs Educators and parents in detecting children with special needs using screening procedures.
- Provide continued assistance and support to Special Needs Educators and parents by ensuring regular visits and weekly telephone communications.
- Request and obtain intervention in cases from Cree Health Board professionals including diagnostic reports and intervention plans for children with special needs, in collaboration with the Directors of Childcare Centres.
- Provide support for children’s and families’ during the process of referral to local and regional health and educational professionals and services.
- Ensure confidentiality of information collected and oversee the sharing of information as per established protocols.
- Participate in all appropriate training sessions and meetings as budgets permit.
- Participate in developing and facilitating community prevention/promotion programs and campaigns on issues such as fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, addictions, smoking, etc.
- Encourage networking and communications with other resources involved with the child, such as the Clinic, Head Start Educator and Teachers in order to harmonize intervention approaches regarding the child.
- Organize training programs and regular conference calls for Special Needs Educators.
- Coordinate the purchase of specialized equipment on behalf of Childcare Centres.
- Support the Special Needs Educators in maintaining professional children’s files, with particular attention to Ministry forms and reports required to obtain grants for children with disabilities.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Certification
- College diploma in Special Needs Education or related field.
- Three to five years of relevant work experience.
- Fluency in verbal Cree.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Good understanding of child growth and development and of age-appropriate activity programming.
- Customer-focused and service-oriented.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively.
- Proven ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects.
- Strong judgment and proven ability to problem-solve.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Typical office setting with no unusual physical demands.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Must agree to undergo a background check.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.
From January 15, 2021 to January 29, 2021
Your application must be sent by email with the competition number: CFS-210101-1