Regional Backfill Engineer
The Regional Backfill Engineer will provide high-level underground (UG) backfill consulting services to Newmont operations (primarily in North America). Consulting extends to Newmont projects, operations and exploration. Assist in mentoring and developing backfill-related knowledge and experience at Newmont’s North American operations. Provide training on Newmont’s standards and guidelines for backfill engineering. Travel to Newmont sites is expected.
- Drive excellence in backfill risk assessments and hazard identifications.
- Input into backfill plant operation, reticulation system performance, and backfill design (fillmass stability, void fill notes, etc.).
- Oversee design and implement short-to-long term backfill programs to meet Life of Mine needs and mitigate risks to operations.
- Provide appropriate guidance and expertise into backfill inputs into the short and long-term mine plans, as well as ongoing mining production.
- Establish proactive safe-design approaches to backfill risk management.
- Appropriate communication of identified backfill risks.
- Implement the backfill management strategy.
- Work towards attaining active cost containments and optimization in the short-term and the medium term.
- Manage backfill respective expenditures within the approved budget and sign-off limits to maintain effective cost controls and savings.
- Participate in project work.
- Mentoring and training of North American backfill and geotechnical engineers, and operational staff.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- The position is based in Canada (Quebec or Ontario) and is part of the Denver Technical Services
- Position is required to travel extensively to, and assist, domestic and international sites.
- Working in a cross-functional environment and must be able to engage with specialists across disciplines.
Training & Experience
- B.A.Sc., B.Sc. or B.A. degree in a geomechanics-related field (e.g., Engineering Geology, Geologic Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Mining Engineering) or a mechanical-related field (e.g., pipeline
engineering), with 5 years or more of industry experience in mining.
- Must be a recognized professional engineer or eligible to apply for status in different work jurisdictions.
- Experienced with mining software (e.g., DESWIK, Microsoft Excel, etc.)
- Experience in operations and operational issues related to backfill engineering, including plant operation, hydraulic analysis, and UG backfill stability.
- Must have effective English and French verbal and written communication skills
- Spanish language ability is a benefit
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively with teams, peers and managers
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com no later than October 28, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is based at Newmont’s Eleonore mine site, which is a fly-in/fly-out operation. Pursuant to the Government of Canada’s vaccine requirement for travel, COVID-19 vaccination is required for all travelers departing from Canadian airports, which includes flights to/from Newmont’s Eleonore mine site, subject only to some very limited exemptions. Accordingly, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you will be required to provide a declaration confirming that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or confirming that you have an exemption from the Government of Canada’s vaccine requirement for travel, prior to your anticipated start date. Further, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you may also be required to provide proof of vaccination or exemption status prior to your anticipated start date, or at a later date upon Newmont’s request.