- Period Of EmploymentFull Time
- Job Location Mistissini
- Education Level High School Diploma
STATUS: FULL-TIME PERMANENT
Under the general direction of the Cree Nation of Mistissini, but more specifically under the supervision of the Coordinator of Public Safety, the Public Safety Officer shall be responsible to enforce various community/municipal laws and regulations governing public safety. The Public Safety Officer will be responsible to implement and oversee Public Safety Campaigns and implementation of public safety prevention and animal control programs.
- Develops and implements public safety educational programs concerning various community/municipal laws by the Council of the Cree Nation of Mistissini regarding public safety;
- Responsible for routine community tours to identify public security and safety concerns and to deliver services to correct any hazards to the general public;
- Works in collaboration with the Coordinator of Public Safety and Fire Chief, promotes water/ice safety and other public safety prevention programs through pamphlets, flyers, radio advertisement, school visits and community home visits;
- Implements and enforces community animal control law no. 09 by patrolling the community and surrounding areas;
- Investigates concerns/issues from the public regarding stray, sick, injured, neglected, and abused animals, and follows up on animals that are a threat to the public;
- Promotes and educates various community/municipal laws, provincial and federal regulations regarding animal control to the public, and occupational health and safety;
- Issues fines of violations in accordance to the community animal control law no.09 and responds to court subpoenas when requested;
- In collaboration with a recognized veterinary clinic, humanely euthanatizes severely injured, diseased or vicious animals;
- Responsible in the removal of deceased animals from the community property and other locations, and also responsible in trapping domestic and wild animals;
- Quarantines biting animals for observation according to the established guidelines of Mapaq (Ministere de l’Agriculture, des Pecheries et de l‘Alimentation du Quebec);
- Maintains the animal shelter premises according to SPCA standards;
- Works in collaboration with the local Cree Trappers Association to understand animal behaviour and able to respond to animals accordingly;
- Works in collaboration with the Wildlife Conservation Officers according to Provincial and Federal Wildlife Regulations;
- Prepares an annual control action plan and maintains a variety of files, records and reports on impounded animals, animal bites, quarantines, investigations, citations and daily statistics; also reports quarterly on the deliverable related to the action plan;
- Operates and maintains an animal control vehicle, utilizes a variety of animal control equipment including leash, muzzle, traps, catch pole, net, and radio;
- When appropriate and necessary, participates in training programs to upgrade knowledge and skills related to his/her job;
- Performs other tasks as required from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent, College education will be considered an asset;
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills;
- Oral presentation skills are required;
- Knowledge and ability to work with various computer software programs is a requirement;
- Must be reliable and be able to work with minimum supervision;
- Must work with a fixed 7-7 schedule including evenings and weekends;
- Bilingual in Cree and English, French will be an asset;
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
SALARY SCALE: Class 3 $37,724.70 to $56,586.54
DATE OF POSTING: April 1, 2020
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 14, 2020 @ 5:00 p.m.
PLEASE ADRESS ALL APPLICATIONS TO:
Andrew Neeposh, Director of Human Resources
Cree Nation of Mistissini
187 Main Street
Mistissini, QC G0W 1C0
ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS MUST BE PROVIDED WITH APPLICATION INCLUDING DRIVER’S PERMIT, ANY CERTIFICATES, DIPLOMAS AND TWO (2) RECENT REFERENCE LETTERS.
Applications are to be forward to Emily S. Brien, Administrative Assistant to HR or email at firstname.lastname@example.org