Public Health Awash
DEPARTMENT: Public Health – Awash (676477)
WORK LOCATION: Mistissini/Montreal
STATUS: 1- Permanent Full-Time
HOURLY SALARY: Min. (1) $25.63 – Max. (18) $47.48
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
Person who is called upon to advise an institution on questions pertaining to nursing and who may be required to carry out such responsibilities as:
- The design, distribution, evaluation and revision of orientation, training and skills updating activities for employees and trainees;
- The design, implementation, evaluation and revision of programs aimed at improving the quality of health care and professional activities and programs.
The primary responsibility of the Health Protection Nurse is to collaborate with other members of the public health team to engage in necessary activities for protecting the health of the regional population from potential threats as mandated by the public health law of Quebec.
The Health Protection Nurse will primarily work in close collaboration with the Public Health Physician responsible for Communicable Diseases to investigate and prevent the spread of infectious diseases within communities. This includes:
- Reviewing reportable disease notifications received by the Public Health Department,
- Following up on suspect cases, contact tracing, completing information gathering questionnaires,
- Providing infection control and prevention advice,
- Communicating with partners including frontline health workers, daycares, schools or other parties as relevant to implement disease prevention activities to reduce the spread of disease;
In time, the Health Protection Nurse may also become involved in other health protection files beyond communicable diseases including:
- reviewing reportable diseases of a chemical or physical nature,
- supporting the work on the prevention of severe intoxications,
- working to support public health physicians on call in following up on cases, and supporting efforts to ensure emergency preparedness and response in a timely and culturally safe fashion,
Under the authority of the Public health director, and in collaboration with the Public Health Physician responsible for Communicable Disease, the incumbent’s first and major role is:
- She/he will be responsible for the updating and development of protocols for control and management of infectious outbreaks and emergencies in the region with the public health physician coordinator of infectious diseases and other members of the health protection team
- She/he will be mobilize and work with the medical advisors, and particularly the public health physicians on call, and with all other necessary departments, when infectious disease investigations and response are required.
The applicant may also be asked to collaborate with other Public Health colleague including:
- the Immunization Team to improve the planning and organization of the immunization program and services, especially during localized infectious disease outbreaks
- the School Health team, to promote prevention and control of sexually transmissible infections
- The Emergency Preparedness team to respond to infectious disease outbreaks and public health emergencies. .
Member in good standing of the O.I.I.Q;
Bachelor of Science in Nursing or an undergraduate degree consisting of three (3) admissible
Certificates, of which two (2) are accredited certificates in Nursing.
- Three (3) years of experience as a nurse including:
- Two (2) years of experience in acute care; or
- One (1) year of experience in extended role with a recognized training;
- experience with public and community health prevention and promotion related approaches, methods, issues and programming an asset;
- experience of practice in Indigenous contexts an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the Public Health Act of Quebec and the health protection function of public health
- Strong knowledge of, and experience with, surveillance, assessment, investigation (enquiries) and control/management of cases with MADOs and their contacts, and managing other infectious disease situations of public health significance.
- Strong knowledge of, with vaccination and the PIQ;
- Knowledge of programs and regulations for first lines services is an asset;
- Knowledge and respect of the norms and practice in curative or community health nursing in a similar type of environment;
- Strong knowledge and cultural safety working in First Nation contexts; Knowledge of Cree culture, and social/health issues in Eeyou Istchee is an asset; Knowledge of Eenou/Eeyou Pimaatsiiun healing practices and paradigms is an asset;
- Excellent communication skills, both group animation, written and presentation;
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and teamwork skills;
- Good knowledge of software applications such as Outlook, Word, Power Point;
- Willingness to travel.
- Fluent in English and French; both written and spoken;
- Fluency in Cree is an asset;
Posting start/end date: 2020-03-17/2020-03-31
Shift type: Day
Positions available: 1
Hours per day/week: 7/35
House available Yes
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please forward your resume to:
Cree Board of Health & Social Services of James Bay
Tel: 514-861-5955 Fax: 514-989-7495
Posting #: N-1920-0140D
Position Number: 0379
With your application, please make sure to specify the PR and/or posting number as well as the Job title on which you wish to apply.
We thank all candidates who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note 1: In accordance with various Sections of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA), the organization has the objective of staffing all of its positions with qualified and competent beneficiaries of the JBNQA.