Position: Mine Captain
Schedule: 14 days of work followed by 14 days off
Location: Renard Mine
Homeports : Val-d’Or, Chibougamau-Chapais, Québec and St-Hubert Airports
Stornoway is recruiting a Mine Captain. Reporting to the Mine Operations Manager, you will be responsible, in collaboration with your supervisors and their teams, for ensuring the safe and timely production of the mine for both surface and underground operations.
You will play a key role in achieving the organization’s goals by showing initiative and acting as a mentor to your team. You will use your communication and mobilization skills on a daily basis!
- Promote an effective company safety program;
- Ensure safe, profitable and on-time production and associated activities;
- Supervise, maintain and train an effective and competent group of supervisors. Prepare training plans and evaluate your team members. Ensure that all are properly trained ;
- Maintain and provide accurate records regarding safety, personnel and production activities;
- Ensure operational goals are met; suggest improvements and corrective actions and schedule long-term priorities;
- Participate in weekly block planning and production meetings and monthly goal meetings ;
- Participate in setting block and mine objectives;
- Communicate and support company policy and procedures;
- Ensure compliance with government regulations and company standards. Actively follow best practices and due diligence philosophy;
- Understand and implement the Mecheshoo Agreement;
- Monitor mine operating costs;
- Make recommendations for manpower planning as well as equipment needs, process changes and organizational changes; and
- Train and develop a successor.
Qualifications and Skills:
- You have a Bachelor Degree in Mining Engineering, a College Diploma in Mineral Technology or other related field, relevant experience may be considered equivalent ;
- You have a minimum of 10 years experience in a management position with increasing levels of responsibility and exposure to all aspects of underground mine operations;
- You excel at planning, organizing and executing tasks;
- You have a thorough knowledge of mining methods and procedures, relevant legislation and general management principles;
- You are recognized as an inspirational leader with an exemplary attitude towards health and safety;
- You have used the GSIMS program or equivalent to accurately track hours worked, absenteeism and bonus administration;
- You are a skilled communicator (spoken and written) in both French and English;
- You have completed the modular mine worker training (FMTM 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7), have a valid general explosives permit and a valid driver’s license;
- You are an excellent user of the Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.);
- You are able to drive a vehicle and travel on ramps and underground galleries as required.
The use of the masculine gender is intended solely to lighten the text and refers to both women and men.
Stornoway Diamonds is committed to the principle of employment equity. Our people are our most valuable asset and our goal is to create an inclusive and equitable environment where everyone can reach their true potential.
Stornoway Diamonds does not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. All personnel decisions, including hiring decisions, will be based on the company’s skills and needs. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
Thank you for your interest in Stornoway Diamonds, please note that only online applications will be considered.
Please ensure that your profile is complete and up-to-date.
We will only contact you if your application is selected for an interview.