Job Family. Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Montreal
CBC is transforming the way it serves Canadians where they live. Our vision is to reflect Canadians to each other on every available platform while creating a deep understanding of our communities and the people who live there. We do that with relevant, responsive and original storytelling. We are community connectors, more local, more digital and more determined than ever. An important part of our commitment is programming in eight Indigenous languages, This includes programming in Cree to serve the people of Eeyou Istchee James Bay.
We are hiring a Manager, Journalism and Programming to take charge of our Cree language programming on radio, TV and digital in Quebec. The position is based in Montreal, where the successful candidate will lead the Cree programming unit.
We seek a leader with vision and compassion, who can bring out the best in a team and can collaborate well with other programming teams across CBC. We’re looking for an innovative manager, someone to set the course for great, relevant content. You will ensure the Cree Unit at CBC is a great place to work. This role is integral to enriching how people in the Cree communities connect to CBC at the local level. This means ensuring the programs reflect what matters most to people in the Cree communities of the Eeyou Istchee James Bay.
You will deliver on this through a focus on three priorities:
In this role, you will ensure that CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful, and resonate with the Cree communities. You are creative and will inspire the team to try new things, new workflows and new story treatments across all platforms: radio, television and digital.
Our community goal is to be a passionate force for public good by fostering a shared understanding about each other. With that in mind, local news and community storytelling are more important than ever. You will deepen our connections with the communities of Eeyou Istchee.
You will lead a team of diverse, talented and passionate people. You will develop their talent, coach them, support them and inspire them. You live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work environment.
The successful candidate will report to the Senior Managing Director, Quebec and Atlantic regions. You will work with the other leaders at CBC Quebec to meet the goals of CBC/Radio-Canada.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Leadership skills to inspire and direct creative, programming staff.
- Experience in developing people, providing feedback that builds understanding, and skills.
- A strong understanding of the Cree and Quebec communities.
- Knowledge of Canada’s North.
- A university degree or equivalent experience.
- 2-3 years of directly related experience in management.
- Belief in the value of public service broadcasting.
- Knowledge of journalism and / or program production.
- Knowledge of effective management and change-management techniques.
- Knowledge of CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices.
- An agile, creative mind to develop and evaluate programs and to develop ideas for programs on a daily basis. Intelligence and the ability to think both laterally and linearly are essential to manage a wide range of circumstances every day.
- Excellent communication, listening, collaboration, and interpersonal skills as well as cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- Fluent Cree language skills would be an important advantage as all programming is in Cree.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French would be an asset.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.