Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
- The Long-Term Planning Engineer has site-based scope (may support multiple sites in a region) reporting through the centralized operating model that covers the Long-Term planning functional deliverables. The position reports to the Senior Long-Term Planning Lead and is responsible for the delivery of long term mine planning work packages for Newmont’s underground and / or open pit operations. This includes long term planning aspects of business planning, support of site-based studies, projects, Full Potential and Strategic Resource Development (SRD) activities. The Long Term Planning Engineer key outputs include:
- Generation of reliable, timely and well communicated long term planning work packages
- Produce Life of Asset production plans with challenging but achievable inputs, with transparent risks and opportunities identified
- Stakeholder engagement across the site being supported, including mine planning and other cross functional teams.
- Planning support for Full Potential and Strategic Resource Development initiatives
- Identification and application of improvements associated with site opportunities
- Provide technical Risk and Opportunity characterization for the Life of Asset plans.
- Provide visible and felt leadership in support of health, safety, security and S&ER programs
- Responsible for the generation of timely and accurate Long Term Planning work packages for the site:
- Reserves and Resource estimation, planning and annual MRMR reporting
- Strategic mine plans and options scenarios supporting the Phase 1 Business Plan
- Phase 2 Business Plan Physicals and associated documentation for the +2 year to Life of Asset plan, in collaboration with the site mine planning teams and Technical Services Manager
- Long term supporting facilities (leach pads, waste dumps, UG facilities etc.) design and scheduling
- Life of Asset infrastructure planning (tails, backfill, ventilation, etc.).
- Support for reclamation and closure planning.
- Conduct economic evaluations on mid to long term development and stopping layouts and / or open pit pushbacks
- Execute Long Term Mine Planning standard procedures, guidelines, standards, best practices and planning improvement initiatives at the site, including consideration of safety in design
- Support and collaborate with the site mine planning teams in the generation of the 0 to 2 years portion of the Business Plan to ensure a single integrated Life of Asset Business Plan for the site as part of bridge planning
- Liaise with geology and geotechnical engineers to determine and apply design criteria for the mine being designed
- Liaise with mine operations to ensure practicality of designs
- Liaise with the SME function for specific technical expertise not available at site and for peer review of work packages delivered
- Support site projects and studies work and support strategic components of Full Potential and Strategic Resource Development (SRD) work as required
- Support unit cost development and analysis
- Build and maintain trust and credibility with key stakeholders including the site Technical Services Manager, Site Business Manager and site functional teams
- Draw on experiences in open pit and/or underground mining to ensure the Long-Term deliverables are considering and applying diversified engineering techniques.
- The position is nominally located at the associated Regional or Corporate office, but may be open to flexible home location working arrangements; regardless of location, employee would be required to travel to site (25-35%), regional or corporate office (10-15%) based on engagement needs
- Position requires travel nationally and internationally
- Will be required to access mining and processing areas, rough terrain, or exploration sites
- Frequent working at a computer/monitor or keyboard
- Must be sensitive to cultural differences at the operations within the Company
- Complete any tasks related to the performance of his duties
- A B.Sc. Mining Engineering or equivalent is essential
- Experience in arrange of mine planning horizons including long term mine planning, production support, mine operations and design in large and diversified mine sites, with preference for experience in conventional hard rock Gold / Copper-Gold operations
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence and a high level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, listening)
- Self-starter and strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Ability to build and maintain a strong communications network with planning peers, Technical Services Managers, Project/Study Directors, Mine Managers, and JV partner representatives
- Experience in operations with complex multi mine, multi process situations preferable and a knowledge of mine methods, mine design, production scheduling (strategic and tactical), equipment selection, reserve estimation and economic evaluations
- High level of competence in the use of mine planning software, including optimization techniques and experience with mine design and scheduling packages from Deswik, Geovia Whittle, Mine Sight, or Maptek
- Knowledge of unit costing methods for resource and reserve analysis and of cash flow and financial analysis through the use and manipulation of project financial models. Experience with Xeras cost estimating tool a plus
- Knowledge of exploration methods and resource estimation
- Strong problem solving and 3D visualization skills
- Team work in a multicultural environment
- Organizational skills
WORK SCHEDULE AND LOCATION
- Newmont Montreal Office
- Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with adjustment to working days when the incumbent travels to and works from site, as required.
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com/careers no later than October 5th, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.