Réf. : ELE00002647
Geotechnical Superintendent reports to the Manager of Mine Technical Services. He/she provides safe, economic and practical geotechnical solutions to maintain and improve the integrity of underground excavations at Eleonore.
The Eleonore mine ore body is very complex, the Superintendent will bring innovation and robust initiatives. He/she should have an understanding of seismicity, ground control as well as a fall risk management strategy.
- Provide governance to ensure compliance with Newmont standards, guidelines and policies
- Ensure geotechnical risks for current and proposed mining horizons are analysed, understood and communicated to key stakeholders
- Collaborate with the geotechnical group to set and develop geotechnical engineering standards, policies and processes
- Ensure that accurate, timely, professional, geological and geotechnical information and advice is provided is precise, delivered in timely manner to the operations teams and that it is properly implemented on the site
- Provide design advice to geotechnical staff to ensure that underground development proposals are practical and effective to maximize the recovery of reserves and resources
- Provide technical advice and recommendations on highly specialized or unique technical issues
- Develop and implement in-house training programs in geotechnical engineering, identify and recommend software and tools for analyses and design
- Participate in staff technical and professional development in the underground engineering fields
- Work with the mine to define and setup a review mechanism of the Ground Control plan to assess risk,
- Collaborate with Geotechnical Engineering consultants to ensure a backup supply of skilled Geotechnical Engineers for peak loads
- Continue existing R&D projects while looking for additional opportunities to improve both processes and execution of ground support
- All tasks related to the exercise of its functions
- Schedule : 4 days of work followed by 3 days off
- Bachelor degree in Geological or Mining Engineering, preferably with specialisation in Geotechnical Engineering or Rock Mechanics
- Minimum of 15 years’ mining experience, of which the majority should be in underground hard-rock mining, preferably in precious metals
- Good operating knowledge and interpretation skill of numerical modelling tools such as DIPS, UNWEDGE, MAP3D, MXRAP and PHASE2
- Mining modules 1 to 5 and 7.
- Valid general explosive permit
- Member of the Order of Engineer of Quebec
- Bilingualism essential
- First hand site experience dealing with major geotechnical failures
- Expert knowledge of geotechnical methods and ground control plans
- Experience in utilizing backfill for ground control including paste fill
- Strong technical writing, group presentation, and interpersonal skills including cultural sensitivity
- Team work in a multicultural environment
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Organizational skills
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com/careers no later than February 14th, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.