Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
The geology technician is part of the technical services – geology team. The incumbent assists in the identification and control of ore grade in the development of mineralized zones and on worksites.
- Provide technical assistance in the identification and control of ore grade
- Participate in mapping and conduct daily geological inspections of underground excavation sites
- Participate in ground inspections in development zones and on worksites
- Assist in worksite reconciliation
- Map and take samples from work surfaces in mineralized zones
- Observe work done on production sites and, with the help of the engineering and mining departments, control the nature and quality of ore sent to the plant
- Conduct geological and structural mapping of lateral underground developments
- Control the nature and quality of ore sent to the surface
- Compile daily sampling data in the appropriate databases and draft reports
- Assist in short-term planning
- Respect, know and promote company regulations and policies, particularly with regard to health and safety
- All other related tasks
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- College diploma in engineering geology/mineral technology
- Minimum 2 to 3 year’s experience in geology, ideally in underground mining
- Valid general explosives permit
- Completed mining modules (F.M.T.M.)
- Good computer skills, including Vulcan, AutoCad, Promine and MS Office
- Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team in a multicultural environment
- Schedule : 14 days of work followed by 14 days off
- Éléonore mine site (round-trip flights from Montréal, Chibougamau, Matagami, Rouyn-Noranda, Val D’Or and Wemindji)
How to Apply
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com no later than November 15, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. Accordingly, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you will be required to provide a declaration confirming that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to your anticipated start date, and you may also be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to your anticipated start date, or at a later date upon Newmont’s request. Newmont will consider individual requests for exemption/reasonable accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to medical reasons or other grounds protected by applicable human rights law..