Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favourable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The environmental superintendent oversees the environmental team. They coordinate the team’s activities to ensure that environmental standards and requirements are enforced in all site operations. The superintendent plays an advisory role with other departments.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of environmental policies and programs for the entire site.
- Ensure the development and coordination of environmental activities.
- Maintain good relationships with government agencies, represent the company in government inspections, be available for emergency assignments.
- Advise and support supervisors on environmental stewardship.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the environmental management system.
- Develop, promote and maintain the organization’s environmental programs.
- Ensure that all Newmont Éléonore employees and contractors receive environmental training.
- Ensure compliance of permits and approvals issued by the team.
- Organize, plan and coordinate environmental emergencies drills.
- Ensure that environmental incidents are reported and investigated and that recommendations are made and implemented to prevent similar events from happening again.
- Ensure continuous improvement of results and the means used to achieve them.
- Solve problems related to their sector of activity and recommend measures to improve the department’s productivity.
- Manage staff, evaluate work performance and oversee employee development in the Environment Department.
- Produce and present reports.
- Manage the Environment Department’s operating costs.
- Know, follow and support company rules and policies, particularly regarding health and safety.
- Help implement and maintain Newmont standards and coordinate activities in their sector.
- Perform all other tasks relevant to the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of science (environmental engineering, biology, geology, other)
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of experience in the environmental field and at least two (2) years of experience in a supervisory role
- Bilingual (French and English)
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Leadership and strategic vision
- Ability to work with others in a multicultural environment
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and develop employees
- Eleonore mine site (Fly-in, Fly-out)
- Schedule: 8 days of work followed by 6 days of rest, 4 days of work followed by 3 days of rest
If you are interested, please send us your resume via the company website at www.newmont.com by June 9th, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion and accessibility. All qualified candidates are welcome to apply. Arrangements may be made on request for applicants participating in any part of the selection process.