Department: Environment and Remedial Works
Salary Grade 6: (Min. $58,333.00 – Max. $77875.00)
Status: Temporary (4 Year Contract)
The Environment Management Advisor is responsible for ensuring that the environmental review process outlined in Section 22 and in Complimentary Agreement # 20 of the James Bay Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA) is effectively implemented. More specifically, the incumbent is responsible for providing technical support in matters of environmental management and protection, pollution prevention, and remediation in the service of the local Cree governments.
- Provide support for the design, planning, and delivery of training programs for the LEAs and the local Cree governments.
- Assist in the delivery of services to the Cree Local Environment Coordinators in the exercise of their mandate and responsibilities with respect to local environmental issues.
- Oversee various projects related to contracts for environmental site assessments, and characterization and remediation works in the Cree communities and territory.
- Coordinate the monitoring of contaminated sites and solid waste disposal sites (particularly the existing monitoring wells network).
- Provide technical support and guidance on all proposed development projects, particularly those from Cree promoters.
- Assist in the environmental monitoring and compliance (particularly monitoring the quality of the drinking water).
- Assist in the development and implementation of an integrated waste management plan for the Cree communities.
- Assist in the planning of the environmental emergency response.
- Liaise with Local Environmental Coordinators and community representatives to ensure that proposed development projects are directed to the office of the Regional Environmental Administrator.
- Liaise with other Cree Nation Government departments and other Cree Entities to ensure all project related information is available for consideration under the review process.
- Communicate with other departments, the Director of Environment and Remedial Works, as well as key stakeholders to keep everyone informed of community environmental protection and monitoring.
- Maintain and update all environmental information/data input into the geo-referenced environmental database in the Cree communities.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or related field with a focus on Environmental studies.
- Five to eight years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in environmental service management.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Proven success in maintaining strong communication, including the ability to facilitate effectively.
- Proven ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects.
- Proven ability to demonstrate strong judgment in complex situations.
- Proven ability to problem-solve, to think strategically, and to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work under significant pressure and to adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Typical office setting where there are no unusual physical demands.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.
From September 29, 2021 to October 14, 2021
Your application must be sent by email with the competition number: ERWD-210904-1