Position: Drilling and blasting designer
Sub-department: Technical Services
Schedule: 14 days of work followed by 14 days off
Location: Renard Mine
Homeports : Val d’Or, Chibougamau-Chapais, St-Hubert and Quebec airports
Stornoway is recruiting for a Drilling and Blasting Designer for the underground mine. Reporting to the Drilling and Blasting Coordinator, the Drilling and Blasting Designer will be responsible for the design of production drilling plans, loading plans, shooting sequences, monitoring and quality control of drilling and loading operations in the field. The mining of ore is done by long holes of large diameters. Working closely with the production department, he/she will be required to provide the necessary technical support to ensure that the drilling and explosives loading operations are kept running smoothly.
- Perform the design of production job site drilling plans, loading plans and shot sequence plans;
- Provide technical support to ensure drilling and explosives loading operations are kept running smoothly.
- Perform underground quality control during drilling and loading operations.
- Carry out daily monitoring of drilling and blasting operations.
- Participate in various optimization projects related to drilling and production blasting.
- Process and analyze data related to drilling and production blasting.
- DEC in Mineral Technology, Bachelor of Mining Engineering or any other training with equivalent experience in drilling and blasting;
- Minimum of 2 years experience in an underground operation;
- Knowledge of software such as Deswik, Autocad, Promine, or other similar software;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
- Possess the Mining Worker Modular Training (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7), as well as a valid general explosives permit;
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Excellent ability to plan, organize, execute and analyze;
- Versatility, autonomy, resourcefulness and flexibility in terms of tasks;
- Interest and ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Exemplary attitude towards health and safety at all times;
- Good written and oral communication skills in English and French.
Who We Are
At Stornoway, our 530 employees are what define our company. We hire talented people who work as a team with passion, respect and integrity to work towards the prosperity of all. Together, we operate the first diamond mine in Quebec, the Renard Mine.
True to our values, we create opportunities for our employees to fulfill their career aspirations. We encourage and support teamwork as an integral part of our success. We work with integrity and honesty. We cultivate an environment of respect and inclusion and communicate openly at all levels of the organization. Finally, we look for talented, dedicated and committed people who work with passion. We recognize achievement, hard work and effort.
What we offer
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, a contribution to the retirement savings plan and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
We offer a safe work environment combined with several benefits:
- Easy access to the mine site via 4 home ports
- Private accommodation (Bedroom and bathroom)
- Large selection of meals
- Free wifi service at the camp
- Laundry facilities with soap provided
- Health & wellness program
- Weight room and arena
- Hiking trail – snowshoeing
- Leisure activities (painting, cooking, photography, movie nights, etc.)
- Reimbursement of protective eyewear with prescription
- Internal training program
- Reimbursement of tuition fees
- Reimbursement of membership fees to professional associations
- Relocation program (Chapais and Chibougamau) with financial support from Stornoway
The use of the masculine gender is intended solely to lighten the text and refers to both women and men.
Stornoway Diamonds is committed to the principle of employment equity. Our people are our most valuable asset and our goal is to create an inclusive and equitable environment where everyone can reach their true potential.
Stornoway Diamonds does not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. All personnel decisions, including hiring decisions, will be based on the company’s skills and needs. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
Thank you for your interest in Stornoway Diamonds, please note that only online applications will be considered.
Please ensure that your profile is complete and up-to-date.
We will only contact you if your application is selected for an interview.