LOCATION OF WORK
Mistissini – Director General
NATURE OF WORK
- The Director of Higher Learning (DHL) reports to and assists the Director General of the Cree School Board (CSB), in the establishment of higher learning programs for students within Eeyou Istchee. This involves the responsibility for the overall management of general and vocational college programs and post secondary programs as well as for ensuring the continuity of the higher education mission and vision as defined by the Cree School Board.
- The Director of Higher Learning (DHL) is responsible for leading the overall planning, strategic direction, the pedagogical, financial and administrative operations of the Higher Learning department in support of the Cree School Board (CSB) mission, vision and goals.
- In particular, the Director of Higher Learning is responsible for leading the overall planning, development, implementation and monitoring of all the programs, activities and services related to academic, social and financial services offered by the department. This includes overseeing its departmental personnel as well as Teachers in support of student success.
- The incumbent works closely with colleagues at the Cree School Board, individual schools, government entities and respective communities, the Apatisiiwin Skills Development Department of the Cree Nation Government, as well as the Cree Board of Health and Social Services and other prospective employers.
- The incumbent will also consult with other Cree stakeholders, including Cree youth, community partners/entities, elected officials and elders.
- This includes responsibility for community involvement, community relations (internal and external), promotion of higher learning, services to promote student participation in educational life and services to educate students about their rights and responsibilities.
- As a member of the CSB Management Group, the Director of Higher Learning also plays a key role in providing advice and expertise to the Director General and to all the administrators of the CSB so as to promote the optimal management of Higher Learning within the spirit of operational effectiveness and student success.
- The Director of Higher Learning leads by example, fosters a spirit of teamwork, engages employees and facilitates a workplace culture in keeping with the CSB organizational values.
- Contribute to the development of the overall CSB Strategic Action Plan (5-year plan), as well as the annual planning process (priorities and objectives).
- In alignment with the Strategic Action Plan, lead the development and execution of the annual Higher Learning departmental action plan.
- Ensure ongoing assessment, measurement and monitoring of departmental results; identify opportunities for adjustment, as required.
- Lead the development and monitoring of Higher Learning strategies, objectives, policies and programs.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the overall CSB policies, by-laws, programs and procedures.
- Oversee the overall operational, administrative, budgetary and financial activities of the department.
- Responsible for data integrity and key Higher Learning metrics through sound management of the available data systems.
- Ensure the ongoing preparation and availability of reports, statistics and their analysis necessary for reporting purposes and in order to carry out the functions of the department.
- Oversee the overall improvement initiatives relating to systems, databases/ files and administrative standards in order to meet the needs of the department while supporting the overall organization and ensuring alignment with legal and governance requirements.
- Approve the needs and priorities in supplies, equipment and materials as well as ensure proper inventory control.
- Establish and maintain effective communications and relations within his/her sector, across the CSB and with external stakeholders.
- Leads in the areas of development, coordination, implementation, and monitoring of all initiatives related to the establishment of higher learning programs;
- Reviews feasibility studies conducted regarding the optimization of the Cree School Board’s structures and processes for the delivery of post-secondary services, and any data collected, that will support the development of various programs;
- Conducts needs analyses of prospective employers regarding their projected personnel requirements;
- Evaluates student demand in terms of the range and nature of college, professional and university level instruction required in Cree communities;
- Validates the availability of the required college and professional level instruction from current and additional providers;
- Conducts feasibility studies regarding alternative delivery methods (possible Online Distance Education – ODE – and in-person instruction), while taking into account of pervious studies underway;
- Ensures consistency with current institutional orientations and pursues the development of programs and ensures their influence within the Cree Nation;
- Develops various scenarios of operations regarding: proposed course offerings, personnel requirements; facilities requirements; pro-forma budget estimates;
- Additional responsibilities once programs are in place
- Promotes success and enrollment, as well as retention and graduation rates;
- Manages the functions for all programs, activities and resources for the programs and facilities;
- Oversees the pedagogical/educational aspects, financial stability and personnel management of the programs and facilities.
- Oversee the teacher allocations throughout Higher Learning, ensuring that the appropriate consultations are carried out.
- Oversees the orientation of new personnel; including a review of policies and programs of the CSB, as well as of their role and responsibilities.
- Participate in developing and consolidating partnerships by coordinating the working relationships between the various departments and services of the Board and with the Cree regional entities.
- Establish and maintain effective communications and relations within his/her sector, across the CSB and with external stakeholders (academic institutions, Cree entities, Apatisiiwin Skills Development Department of CNG, etc…) on matters relating to Higher Learning and post-secondary education.
- Provide leadership to the Higher Learning team and build organizational capability and effectiveness.
- Participate in resource selection and allocation. Ensure supervision, coaching and professional development of all team members.
- Pursue own professional development in order to enhance personal and organizational capacity and the changing needs of the organization.
- Represent department and organization, as required.
- Any other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
- Travel required
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A bachelor’s degree or an undergraduate degree in a relevant field certifying a minimum three-year university program or hold a senior executive or senior staff position, excluding a manager position in a school board.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field would be a strong asset.
- 8 years of relevant experience.
- Additional years of schooling than those prescribed may be considered in lieu of experience.
- Administrative or teaching experience in First Nations Education is a determining asset.
- Fluent in English and French.
- Fluent in Cree is a requirement.
- Technical knowledge in all areas of Education and School administration.
- Proven leadership with exceptional communication skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to Build Trust.
- Solid planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across all levels and functions of the Cree School Board and to develop strong organizational knowledge and relationships.
- Results-oriented with strong strategic thinking capabilities and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to build personal and organizational capacity through continuous improvement.
- Ability to promote teamwork within and across departments.
- Ability to handle confidential information and sensitive situations appropriately.
- Ability to anticipate and lead change.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Regular, Full-time position
- 35 hrs/week
- Salary: $99,629.00 – $132,836.00
- Northern Allowance: $ 8,484.00 – $ 13,573.00
*Given the current salary regulations and guidelines at the Cree School Board, candidates from another Quebec School Board will be able to obtain a salary as per the scale abovementioned. However, candidates that are not from the education sector are not eligible to a salary above the midpoint of the position’s salary scale.
BEGINNING OF EMPLOYMENT
To be determined.
Please complete the Application Form found HERE. Please indicate posting #: MIS-4070
Note that all documents submitted must be in PDF format.
DATE OF POSTING: November 2 2021
END OF POSTING: December 3, 2021 3:00 P.M