- Period Of EmploymentFull Time
- Job Location Mistissini
- Education Level Undergraduate Degree (B.A.)
Career Opportunity: Director of Apatisiiwin Skills Development
Department: Apatisiiwin Skills Development
Salary Grade 10: (Min. $88,378.00 – Max. $127,737.00)
The Director of Apatisiiwin Skills Development department (Department) is responsible for developing departmental goals, programs, services, initiatives, and projects in his/her area of responsibility, aligned with the Cree Nation Government’s mission and vision. The Director manages the overall operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of the Department. He/she may also participate in the negotiation, implementation, and monitoring of various agreements with local, provincial, and federal governments in his/her area of responsibility. Moreover, the Director establishes and implements labour policy/by-laws with respect to the Grand Council of the Crees (Eeyou Istchee) (GCC(EI))/Cree Nation Government orientations, goals, and/or objectives, and identifies and secures appropriate funding and other resources necessary for their realization.
- Develop and communicate departmental goals and objectives, in line with the organization’s and the Department’s mission and vision.
- Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet departmental goals.
- Develop annual and three to five-year operational plans for the Department and present to the Management Committee.
- Lead the development, communication, implementation, and evaluation of policies, processes and procedures for departmental operations, services, and programs.
- Lead the development and implementation of new programs, services, initiatives, and projects in line with community needs and departmental goals.
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operations of the Department.
- Review performance data that includes financial and activity reports to monitor and measure departmental productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness.
- Participate in the negotiation of agreements with the Federal and/or Quebec governments relevant to his/her area of responsibility. Follow-up and monitor the implementation of all agreements signed.
- Participate in activities with Cree Nation Government Senior Managers and other community officials, particularly with respect to economic development.
- Advise the GCC(EI)/Cree Nation Government and Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) on human resources development policy/by-law issues and refer policy matters to them to ensure harmony with GCC(EI)/Cree Nation Government orientations, goals, and objectives.
- Recommend labor market policy/by-law to the Council/Board.
- Promote positive relations and concerted action with all external actors/partners (e.g., Cree communities, federal, provincial, and municipal governments, other Cree entities, etc.).
- Establish and maintains liaison with various entities, the communities, and all other partners to ensure partnership efforts in research and development of training needs, training delivery mechanisms and training programs.
- Lead the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the Department.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports regarding status and progress of Department services, programs, projects, and initiatives to track goal accomplishment, as well as budget spending.
- Oversee preparation and approve reports to funding authorities. Ensure timelines of reporting obligations are met.
- Oversee preparation and approve reports for the Annual General Assembly and the Cree Nation Government’s Annual Report on the activities of the Department.
- Manage the budget for the Department. Participate in the annual budget process and conduct follow-up internally and with the Finance department.
- Seek additional funding/budget to implement programs related to the Department and monitor accurate use of these funds.
- Directly supervise and lead direct reports and ensure effective supervision of others within the team.
- Assist direct reports with the development of objectives and ensure that performance is aligned with team and individual objectives. Ensure that managers and/or supervisors within team are establishing objectives that are in alignment with departmental objectives.
- Identify training needs and support training and development.
- Conduct periodic performance evaluations for direct reports and assist managers and/or supervisors with performance evaluations.
- Promote ongoing effective and open communication with employees. Keep staff members informed of decisions that impact them and/or their department.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Industrial Relations, Sociology, or related field.
- More than twelve years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with staff supervision.
- Experience in managing budgets.
- Fluency in Cree.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Customer-focused and service-oriented.
- Proven success in maintaining strong communication, including the ability to facilitate effectively.
- Proven ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Proven ability to influence decisions and find solutions to complex problems.
- Proven ability to demonstrate strong judgment in complex situations.
- Proven ability to problem-solve, to think strategically, and to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work under significant pressure and to adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Typical office setting where there are no unusual physical demands.
- Willingness to travel frequently.
- Must agree to undergo a background check.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.
From July 5, 2021 to July 27, 2021
Your application must be sent by email with the competition number: ASD-210705-1