The Eeyou Istchee James Bay Regional Government represents a historical initiative in the governance of the Eeyou Istchee James Bay territory located north of the 49th parallel by fostering harmonious relationships between Jamesians and Crees. This innovative approach enhances future opportunities for both communities to contribute in a significant manner to the prosperity of the territory by assuming municipal and land use planning responsibilities within the largest territory in Quebec.
Within this context, that the EIJBRG is seeking a dynamic, highly motivated and experienced Senior Manager to fill the position of Director General in Matagami.
Reporting to the EIJBRG Council, executive management implements administrative and financial decisions by Council. The incumbent ensures coherent implementation of orientations by the various services. The Director General acts as a liaison between the Council and the municipal administrative services while ensuring a strategic advisory role. Responsibilities also include makings recommendations to authorities regarding orientations related to administrative, development and communication priorities. The incumbent also provides strategic information to elected officials as to define actions and to make informed decisions in compliance with municipal legislation.
The Director General also ensures an optimal performance of the EIJBRG human, material and financial resources. If required, the incumbent will also assume responsibilities as Legal Clerk and Assistant Treasurer.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- In-depth comprehension of specific needs, challenges and issues within a Northern context (an asset);
- Well-developed strategic vision, keen ability to perform in a political related environment and the ability to manage complex situations;
- Considerable ability to adapt to a Northern environment;
- Communication and public relations skills;
- Positive leadership and strong interpersonal skills;
- Proven human resources management skills;
- Ability to work independently, multi-skilled combined with rigorous professional standards;
- In-depth knowledge of budget preparation and follow-up as well as project management skills;
- Proven sound judgment and ability to grasp political related issues;
- Knowledge of Cree Nation realities (an asset).
- Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Communication, Engineering, Project Management or related field;
- Minimum of five years of experience with related work responsibilities in a similar position;
- Concerted local or regional work related experience;
- Knowledge of municipal legislation and by-laws (an asset);
- Experience in municipal public service (an asset);
- Computer skills including management software;
- Excellent proficiency of spoken and written English and French languages, knowledge of the Cree language (an asset).
- Permanent, full-time position;
- Considerable availability for meetings and travel;
- Transition period with current Director General;
- Salary ranging from $127,969 to $162,108 in accordance to experience and qualifications;
- Competitive benefit package including northern allowance, defined pension benefit plan and group insurance plan.
Forward resumé by email no later than June 29th 2021 to:
In accordance to the Agreement on Governance in the Eeyou Istchee James Bay Territory, the EIJBRG will facilitate the access by Cree beneficiaries to employment opportunities within the Regional Government as well as their training and professional development