Department: Capital Works and Services
Salary Grade 6: (Min. $57,254.00 – Max. $77,102.00)
Status: Temporary (1 Year)
The Coordinator of Special Projects is responsible for the carrying, monitoring and logistics of projects and
studies aimed to reach the department various objectives. More specifically, this includes liaising with all
pertinent internal and external parties to guarantee project advancement, proper management, and
coordination with local governments.
- Provide assistance towards the project management and coordination of NRA funded projects for
Cree local administration when requested or required.
- Assist in the updating and implementation of regional by-laws establishing minimum standards that
meet or exceed generally applicable federal and provincial standards with regard to essential
sanitation services and public buildings.
- Promote development projects and the implementation thereof of special projects as they arise.
- Ensure projects adhere to frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately for each
- Assess project risks and issues and provide solutions where needed.
- Assist in the implementation of special projects within the organization.
- Maintain and monitor project plans, schedules, budgets and expenditures.
- Liaise with departments to identify and define requirements, scope and objectives of projects.
- Act as the point of contact and communicate projects status to all participates.
- Respond to requests for technical assistance for local government projects funded through the NRA
and other initiatives as requested.
- Provide advice, guidance, training and support to communities in relation to the responsibilities at the
local level for all matters relating to projects funded through the NRA and other funding initiatives
managed through the CWS department.
- Respond to requests for technical support in the evaluation for needs for projects, the review of
studies and the preparation and evaluation of technical documents required for the tendering process
of local projects (terms of reference, evaluation of bids, selection of candidates, etc.).
- Assist with the follow up of professional consulting firms and contractors required to execute largescale
capital works projects.
- Coordinate the work of all professional services related to projects on an as-need basis.
- Chair and facilitate meetings when needed and distribute minutes to project team members.
- Provide administrative support for special projects.
- Provide quarterly reports on the status of projects.
- Participate in preparing the budget for the CWS team and monitor it upon request.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field.
- Three to five years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in project management in a northern context.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in French.
- Fluency in verbal Cree is an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Good knowledge of project management and northern construction logistics.
- Good knowledge of available funding initiatives and procedures.
- Customer-focused and service-oriented.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively.
- Proven ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects.
- Strong judgment and proven ability to problem-solve.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Typical office setting where there are no unusual physical demands.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned
requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan
determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.
From October 26, 2020 to November 9, 2020
Your application must be sent by email or fax with the competition number: CWSD-201026-1
Training and Development Specialist