Purpose and Key Results:
The Control Systems Technical Supervisor II is a member of the global Fixed Plant Control (FPC) systems team and is accountable for the availability and integrity of the industrial control system (ICS) infrastructure for a single site.
The role leads a team of Control System Specialists at the site and provides support to operations, metallurgists, maintenance, engineering, and projects departments to safely maximise production capacity across both processing and mining facilities.
This position reports to and supports the region’s Manager – Control Systems and Instrumentation. The incumbent:
- provides technical expertise and support for all fixed plant control systems within the site, including DCS, PLC & SCADA hardware, configuration, troubleshooting, maintenance and upgrades;
- provides technical expertise and support for all ICS networking, telemetry, and all site OT infrastructure including the PI Historian suite of applications;
- leads a team to provide support to control room / operations, metallurgists, maintenance, engineering, and projects departments to safely maximise production capacity across both processing and mining facilities;
- collaborates with control system vendors to manage minor upgrades, patching and incorporate new products reliably into the site ICS;
- leads the implementation and utilisation of Newmont standard ICS applications for alarm and controller performance, downtime reporting, electronic shift logging;
- reviews, approves, implements and audits change requests and project support, adhering to existing site configuration standards and change management (MOC) processes;
- manages site operational expenditure and develops annual Opex/Capex budgets
- actively participates in the global FPC system community of practice sharing lessons learned and best practices; and
- where appropriate, recognises and manages a team to replicate best-practice solutions provided by the global FPC system community.
The incumbent has sufficient experience in mineral processing and mining facilities to understand and manage the risks associated with any temporary or permanent changes to the site ICS.
This position is 100% site based.
- Monitor the sites control system infrastructure status and resolve any issues identified
- Implement temporary and permanent change requests to ICS software/application
- Support projects impacting on site industrial control systems
- Monitor, report and improve the key ICS performance metrics (alarm & controller reporting, system availability etc. for the site)
- Supervise, guide, mentor, support and develop the Control Systems Specialist team members
- Diagnose and resolve operations and maintenance issues related to the industrial control system
- Support the site OT infrastructure and applications, including the PI Historian suite
- Participate in the global process control community
Training & Experience:
Training and Education:
- Control Systems Engineer: Tertiary qualification in control systems engineering, or related discipline; or
- Control Systems Technical Specialist: trade qualification in related industry and demonstrated experience (see below).
- 5-7 years experience working with control systems in any related industry.
- Significant and demonstrable experience in at least one of the following systems:
- Yokogawa Centum VP DCS;
- Rockwell Control / Compact Logix PLCs;
- Schneider Modicon PLCs; or
- CitectSCADA HMI systems.
- Significant exposure:
- and understanding of industrial Ethernet networks;
- to ICS communications protocols including Modbus TCP/IP, OPC, Profibus, etc.; and
- to IT/OT fundamentals including virtual server installations, database management, active directory management, cyber-security.
- and understanding of OsiSoft PI application suite desirable; and
- of industry best practices for industrial control systems.
Skills & Ablilities:
- Advanced PC skills and computer literacy.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability.
- High attention to detail and effective communication.
- Ability to supervise, mentor and influence technical resources in the team.
- Ability to interact competently with stakeholders at various levels up to and including site process managers.
- Ability to work effectively with site and broader control system teams, when needed.
- Bilingual (French/English) Required
- • Eleonore mine site (Fly-in, Fly-out)
Interested qualified candidates should send their resume via the company’s Web site at www.newmont.com no later than November 1, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is based at Newmont’s Eleonore mine site, which is a fly-in/fly-out operation. Pursuant to the Government of Canada’s vaccine requirement for travel, COVID-19 vaccination is required for all travelers departing from Canadian airports, which includes flights to/from Newmont’s Eleonore mine site, subject only to some very limited exemptions. Accordingly, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you will be required to provide a declaration confirming that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or confirming that you have an exemption from the Government of Canada’s vaccine requirement for travel, prior to your anticipated start date. Further, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you may also be required to provide proof of vaccination or exemption status prior to your anticipated start date, or at a later date upon Newmont’s request.