The Benefits and Financial Program Officer will provide support to band members with respect to financial counselling and budgeting. The incumbent will also create programs to educate people on private homeownership, credit financing in general, as well as promote job creation and opportunities for workers and entrepreneurs in the private housing sector.
- Provide financial counselling services to Cree members.
- Develop programs and materials that educate and coach individuals on financial readiness in regard to improving credit worthiness and including preparing consumers for private home ownership (e.g., budgeting, determining affordability, understanding financial requirements for mortgage financing and insurance, etc.).
- Facilitate access to financial institutions and notaries who support the Cree Private Housing program and are willing to work with the Cree communities and private individuals.
- Work with insurance brokers to understand Cree standards with respect to fire protection and safety and to ensure that competitive rates are offered to Cree private individuals.
- Gather and analyze data relevant to the economy and the private housing sector to develop projects and promote economic growth and job opportunities.
- Lead focus groups and coordinate workshops to encourage and maximize existing and new opportunities for Cree businesses, workers and entrepreneurs in private housing construction, renovation, retail services of building materials, and homeowner products and services.
- Coordinate education and training programs in the private housing sector to maximize employment and training opportunities for Cree workers by integrating the housing strategy with the Youth Development Strategy, and partnership with the Cree School Board, Apatisiiwin Skills Development, and government agencies.
- Contribute to the development of a database of entrepreneurs who can offer house management and maintenance services for the community in the case of foreclosure and pending the sale of the home.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on the Cree communities and the Cree Nation Government concerning Private Home ownership policies and statistics.
- Collaborate with the Capital Works and Services department in the maintenance and distribution of information on home constructions.
- Work in collaboration with other DCI managers to prepare funding proposals that support homeowner programs, training, and media campaigns.
- Promote positive relations and action plans with all external partners such as Cree entities, communities, municipal governments, etc.
- Prepare and develop projects, programs, and other DCI initiatives to ensure operational needs such as training, monitoring, and client needs are met satisfactorily.
- Prepare and develop action planning for information and media dissemination on private home readiness and responsible maintenance and repair of private homes.
- Develop and maintain various tracking tools to monitor outreach objectives.
- Respond to inquiries on any DCI social media forums and blogs.
- Prepare semi-annual activity reports for the Director of Commerce and Industry.
- Prepare exit reports on all meetings, training, and public information campaigns.
- Prepare news releases and quarterly bulletins for public distribution via DCI social media and website.
- Prepare a consumer protection section for the Cree Nation Government annual report related to private housing.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as required.
- College Diploma in Administration, Communications, Public Relations or related field.
- One to three years of relevant work experience.
- Fluency in Cree and in English.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Customer-focused and service-oriented.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven administrative and organizational skills.
- Strong judgment and proven ability to problem-solve.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
- Must agree to undergo a criminal record check.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government