DEPARTMENT: Public Health (676577)
WORK LOCATION: Mistissini
MANAGEMENT LEVEL: Senior Manager
STATUS: 1 Permanent Full Time
SALARY: Class 40: Min. $86,520- Max.$112,47
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
Reporting to the Director of Public Health, the incumbent is responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of the programs and services under his or her supervision for the Uschiniichisuu population in all communities of Eeyou Istchee. He or she is responsible for the management of human, financial and material resources as well as ensuring the cultural safety of the programs and services provided.
According the 2016-2021 Regional Action Plan, based on the Strategic regional plan (SRP)-2016-2021, the main goal of the Regional Uschiniichisuu public health team is to promote health and well-being in Eeyou Youth so as to support their transition period towards adulthood. As such, public health programs that are under the Uschiniichisuu responsibility include the following:
- Dependencies prevention;
- Mental health promotion and suicide prevention;
- Promotion of sexual health (Chii kayeh iyaakwaamiih program) and prevention of blood-borne and sexually-transmitted infections;
- Healthy Schools program and School health services;
- Youth Wellness promotion and Healthy Eeyou Youth program.
- Assists the Director of Public Health and other Assistant Directors of the Public Health (PH) Department in the provision of all the functions and mandates of Public health including surveillance, health promotion, disease prevention, health protection, evaluation and research activities, as well as public information and training related to the aforementioned functions.
- Contributes to the planning, implementation and evaluation activities for the Public Health programs and services of the area of responsibility, by:
- Supporting the Identification of the needs of the Eeyou/ Eenou Uschiniichisuu population;
- Supporting the process of gathering evidence on Public Health programs and services according to the identified goal and objectives;
- Collaborating in the development of the programs and services according to the needs and relevant evidence;
- Ensuring that the programs and services are responding to the bio-psycho-social needs as well as cultural and spiritual needs of individuals, families and communities;
- Ensuring that the programs and services are planned, implemented and evaluated in respect with the autonomy of individuals, families and communities;
- Collaborating with the AED Nishiiyuu Miyupimaatisiiun for the incorporation of Traditional Knowledge and practices into programs ;
- Collaborating to the Miyupimaatisiiun Group for the delivery of promotion, prevention and health protection programs, by supporting Uschiniichisuu managers and interveners and by planning and implementing training activities;
- Working in collaboration with internal and external partners and according to the principles of Miyupimaatisiiun and the community-centered approach;
- Supporting internal and external partners in the delivery of programs ;
- Participating in the development and conduct of evaluations for programs and services.
- Coordinates the production of operational and budget planning and proceed with the integration of all Uschiniichisuu team members’ activities and expenditures;
- Collaborates in linkage, planning, coordination and support community resources and milieus involved with the Uschiniichisuu clientele;
- Is responsible for the management of human, financial, material, and information resources, as well as the general administration of the Uschiniichisuu department;
- Oversees the development, implementation, support and supervision of the Quality Assurance Program for Public Health activities;
- Ensures best practices are implemented, and that the quality and the cultural safety of services offered under their leadership are respected and maintained;
- Contributes to the professional development of their team members by developing training plans;
- Ensures compliance with the organization rules and policies, various professional guidelines, as well as provincial and regional legislations and, regulations, as they apply to the activities of the Public Health department;
- Carries out any other function at the request of the Public Health director.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Social Sciences or a relevant health or human science field, with a Certificate or Master’s degree in Community/Public Health;
- OR Bachelor degree and pertinent Community/Public Health studies and/or experience, with at least 5 years of pertinent experience;
- Three (3) years’ experience in public health practice or other relevant domain;
- Certificate or courses in health administration are an asset.
Please note that applicants registered in the Indigenous Succession Plan may be considered for this position if they have sufficient university educational credits to be eligible for the management activities associated with this position.
Knowledge and Abilities
- :Good understanding of the Health and Social Services network of Quebec, as well as of the Public Health programs, legislations regulations, and essential functions, as they apply in Quebec or Canada;
- Good understanding of public health and current issues in Quebec and Canada;
- Good knowledge public health and current issues in Indigenous populations; knowledge of youth social issues in Indigenous contexts an asset;
- Good knowledge of cultural safety principles, including knowledge of the Cree culture and history, and ability to apply Eeyou (Cree) culture, values, traditions and teachings into programs and services;
- Good knowledge of the social determinants of health framework;
- Competencies in strategic planning, integrated services and interdisciplinary team work;
- Competencies in public health practice and management; a good record in human, financial, and information resources management is an asset;
- Excellent positive leadership and teamwork skills, as well as strong communication skills, both for
written and oral presentations;
- Collaborative management style is an asset;
- Knowledge of MS Office computer applications.
- Fluent in English;
- Fluency in Cree or French is an asset;
- Ability to read French is an asset.
- Willing to travel.
Posting start/end date: 30/06/2020 – 14/07/2020
Shift type: Day
Positions available: 1
Hours per day/week: 7/35
Housing provided: Yes
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please forward your resume to:
Cree Board of Health & Social Services of James Bay
Tel: 514-861-5955 Fax: 514-989-7495
Posting #: PR-MGMT-2021-0004
Position Number : 0011
With your application, please make sure to specify the posting number as well as the Job title on which you wish to apply.
We thank all candidates who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note 1: In accordance with various Sections of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA), the organization has the objective of staffing all of its positions with qualified and competent beneficiaries of the JBNQA.